Cyber Chewie - Caring for a Dying Dog

This blog discusses home hospice care for a terminally ill Chihuahua to help other people with sick dogs. This blog also celebrates Chewie's life. He has lived quite the adventure for a rescue!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Putting Down a Dog (When to...)

I'm not sure I'm always doing the right thing for Chewie but it amazes me how people have such strong opinions about putting a dog down. In fact, so far I've heard from several people that I should put Chewie down or at least they ask "why don't you put him down?"

Well, here's my reasoning - and God help me if I'm wrong but I arrived at this conclusion after speaking with several vets including one homeopathic, one regular and one in an emergency pet clinic.

The time to put a dog down is when:

1. They can no longer eat or hold onto/get nutrition from food.

2. They are no longer comforted by your touch (usually because of pain).

Well, Chewie is eating voraciously and he still falls asleep in my arms. He can also stand, walk stiltedly, sit, lay down, rub his head on the carpet like he loves to do, sleep, piss and poop (although sometimes in bed and all over himself).

At the same time, he does have a few seizures a month, he falls over occasionally, more often his legs give out and he lays on the kitchen floor with legs splayed out in all directions. Or he stumbles and spills his water dish, unable to get up as his doggie diapers soak up the water.

I know, it sounds pathetic and sad and it is pathetic and sad. But he isn't in pain or at least doesn't seem to be. He is quieter than he was a month ago when he would whine in a strange, screechy whine because the medication made him so stressed out and hungry. Now he just sits and when he topples over on his side, he lays there patiently, quietly, until I help him up onto his feet.

Sometimes, I think people put their dogs down not because the animals are really suffering in pain but because they have become burdens because of their symptoms. I have to admit it is incredibly exhausting and difficult to be woken up every hour on the hour some nights because Chewie can't get out of bed to pee, can't find his way back in bed after peeing, has toppled over and is laying in a puddle of pee, or is just generally stressed out, most likely having a nightmare of some kind. Because damn if it isn't difficult being an old dog and terminally ill on top of it.

So yes, it is hard as hell to get up constantly to administer to his needs. And to change his diapers throughout the day. And to wash his doggie diaper (an elasticized denim band that wraps around his midsection and holds a regular newborn diaper in place) when it gets soaked because the regular diaper was slightly askew. To remember to give him his meds stuffed in cheese in the morning and at night. To pick him up when he falls down. To comfort him when he is upset. To serve him his dinner in stages so he doesn't get too bloated from eating too quickly.To give him apple cider vinegar mixed with ginger tea to settle his tummy or get rid of the bloats.

And on top of it all, I haven't yet mentioned that I'm 3 months pregnant after 4 miscarriages and am nauseous, drained and overall feeling yucky myself.

But despite all this crap, he is my little baby, my first Chihuahua, my companion and my precious dog. I will do anything for him until the day he dies. But I will not put my dog down just because it is hard on me. The minute he exhibits symptoms 1 and/or 2 as listed above, I will revisit the thought of what to do next and consult my vets. Until then, I will make him as comfortable as possible for as long as it takes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home