Cyber Chewie - Caring for a Dying Dog

This blog discusses home hospice care for a terminally ill Chihuahua to help other people with sick dogs. This blog also celebrates Chewie's life. He has lived quite the adventure for a rescue!

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Chewie Takes a Turn for the Worst

Chewie seemed a little wobbly today but I didn't know how badly he was doing until he had a seizure around 5pm. It seemed longer and stronger than before. He then slept for a while but then later, during my birthday party, he began to seize again and a few minutes later, again.

We finally ended the part so we could bring him to the vet. They gave him valium to help stop the seizing and he is staying overnight with a catheter in him in case he seizes more. The next step is sedating him or putting him to sleep unless he breaks out of this episode. Then it may be a few more weeks or so but in the end, the seizures will get him.

He was sleeping peacefully (on valium) in a kennel that was padded with a blanket over him and heated rice packs to keep him cozy warm. They will call me in the middle of the night if he takes a turn for the worst.

I'm doing the best I can but this is so hard and so sad. I rescued Chewie from North Shore Animal League 10 years ago this week - he was my birthday present to myself.

I hope he gets through tonight so I can comfort him and love him for a few more weeks. I hate to drag it out but I want to make sure he knows how much I love him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home